The UIB is governed by applicable European Union legislation, by the LOU Act, by the regulations passed by the Spanish central government and the regional government of the Balearic Islands in line with their respective authority, by its own Statutes, which comprise the basic regulations of its self-governing system, and by the implementing regulations thereof.
The LOU Act, UIB Statutes and Academic Regulations
- Organic Law 6/2001, of 21st December, on universities. Organic Law 4/2007, of 12th April, which modifies Law 6/2001
- Statutes of the University of the Balearic Islands
- Academic Regulations
- Royal Decree 822/2021, of 28th September, which establishes the organization of university education and the quality assurance procedure. [PDF - html (ES)]
- Royal Decree 103/2019, of 1st March, which approves the pre-doctoral research staff in training statute. [PDF (es) - HTML (es)]
- Royal Decree 195/2016, of 13th May, which sets out the requirements to award the European supplement to the university degree of doctor. [PDF (es) - HTML (es)]
- Royal Decree 43/2015, of 2nd February, which modifies Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29th October, that sets out the organisation of official university programmes, and Royal Decree 99/2011, of 28th January, that regulates official doctoral programmes. [PDF (ca) - html (es)]
- Royal Decree 967/2014, of 21st November, which sets out the requirements and procedure to validate and grant equivalence to official university academic qualifications and to accredit overseas higher education qualifications, and the procedure to set equivalence to levels within the Spanish framework of higher education qualifications for the official degrees of architect, engineer, licentiate, technical architect, technical engineer and diploma. [PDF (ca) - html (es)]
- Royal Decree 534/2013, of 12th July, which modifies royal decrees 1393/2007, of 29th October, that sets out the organisation of official university programmes; 99/2011, of 28th January, that governs official doctoral programmes; and 1892/2008, of 14th November, that regulates the terms to be admitted to official undergraduate degree programmes and the admissions procedure for public universities in Spain. [PDF (ca) - [html (es)]
- Royal Decree 99/2011, of 28th January, which regulates official doctoral programmes. [PDF (es) - html (es) - Consolidated text from 3rd June 2016]
- Royal Decree 1002/2010, of 5th August, regarding the issuance of official university qualifications. [PDF (ca) - html (es)]
Decree on Public Fees
- Law 19/2019, of 30th December, on the 2020 general budget of the Autonomous Region of the Balearic Islands. (Edict no. 13065. Pages 49, 50 and 51) [es]
- Law 2/1997, of 3rd June, on fees in the Autonomous Region of the Balearic Islands (consolidated version) [ca]
- 2022-23: Public fees for academic and administrative services for official programmes at the University of the Balearic Islands (Governing Council Agreement of 20th June 2022) [es]
UIB-specific Regulations for Doctoral Studies
- 11331. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 23rd March 2015 that approves the admissions requirements for doctoral studies for those with licentiate, engineering, architecture, diploma, technical engineering and technical architecture degrees.
- 13084. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 10th April 2019 that approves the Regulations on the organisation of university PhD programmes at the University of the Balearic Islands. [Text in English]
- 11330. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 23rd March 2015 which modifies Regulatory Agreement 11037/2014, of 22nd July, whereby the Regulations on the organisation of university PhD programmes at the University of the Balearic Islands are approved. [Text in Catalan] - [Text in Spanish]
- 11037. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 22nd July 2014 that approves the Regulations on the organisation of university PhD programmes at the University of the Balearic Islands.
- 11821. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 18th March 2016 that approves the regulations for the equivalence statement procedure at the University of the Balearic Islands for overseas higher education degrees at doctoral level. (In English)
- 10909. REGULATORY AGREEMENT of 5th February 2014 which modifies Regulatory Agreement 10041/2011, of 22nd November, whereby the Doctoral School of the University of the Balearic Islands is created.
General Procedures of the Doctoral School
You will find information on admissions and registration for doctoral programmes in the Pre-registration and registration and Procedures sections, the Code of Best Practice, the Thesis Charter, etc.
Other relevant information can be found in the Doctoral Theses section, as well as the format criteria for PhD theses at the UIB.